Tuesday, 20 October 2015

The Stigma

The Stigma
The stigma is something all those suffering from depression, anxiety and other disorders and mental illness  have to deal with. Let's face it no one wants to sound crazy  or seem crazy because  those with depression or anxiety a lot of us don't want to make a big deal about it   because we know we're going to get told to just cheer up or just calm down. I myself have gotten into the worst sleeping pattern possible  it's becoming impossible just to function as a human being now ask  yourself is telling me to go to bed earlier  going to help?  No of course not because it would be just 5 hours  looking up at my ceiling  so I try to be active  and do things in that time while I figure out what's going to fix me.  

The Stigma itself  from the point of view of someone with depression is mostly our unhelpful thoughts  sometimes assuming people won't understand can be your worst mistake however sometimes they don't and they tell you to cheer up , clam down or get an early night and it's just laughable. We all want to be happy  and live happy lives  but some of us can't just conjure happiness  out of no where Stop thinking about  polar bears Ice skating  on the moon right now! Did you manage it ?  Most of you probably not and that's what those with anxiety get met with "No Need to be anxious" , "stop worrying", "stop thinking about it" and it's no ones fault really  saying that to someone with an anxiety disorder isn't going to help them  it's going to make them more anxious.  I don't get  asked this often enough   and I don't think anyone does  when they tell someone they have a mental illness  or disorder , but the best thing you can say  would be  "Is there anything I could do to help?"    because one thing we  all feel is pressure and the one thing we all crave is release from that pressure.  Show the person that you care and you want to understand how they're feeling if you really want to help that is.  Even my best friends  just leave me with a solid "man that sucks :/"  and it just get's left like that  for a good while   because either they're going through similar things .  It's not because they're mean or they don't understand my situation  because really they  get it  but they also know   there's not a lot they can do about it or for me.

Stigma is an  ever growing problem  in the world,  I'm starting to get sick of it myself and I've been sitting on this topic for a few weeks now because there  was too much to write about. I despise that the mentally  ill are still being made to be feared    we are very much all being tarred with the same brush  in the media. I'm not on the autistic  spectrum  but my brother is I know a few others who are and it's a disorder which gets lumped in with mental illness  and here's the thing you're not born with mental illness they develop over time and through situations  but some are born with autism . Every time America lets one of their high schools get shot up like they're going for some record  what's the second  reason other than gun control  the person does it ?  If you said mental illness get yourself a cookie unless you have a debilitating over eating disorder in which case get your self a rice cake ^_^ . The third reason  as I've seen in the past were claiming autism was the reason why some one decided to shoot up their school.


Now I'm going to tackle these things one at a time starting with gun control,  if you can walk  into your local supermarket and  buy a gun  that is bat shit  insane! I would know  and look it doesn't matter what  background checks you do   once that gun leaves the locked cabinet it can end up any where  and in anyone's hands bet the mum in Walmart  had a pretty good background  check what did the background check find on her two year old? Some  sort of severe debilitating  mental illness making him thirst for blood? Probably when he grows up if he finds out what he did he's going to find it hard to live with himself and become a victim of bad gun control.  Personally  I think as a rule you  shouldn't have guns in the first place but as an extra rule no guns without a safety catch.

Right the next thing would be Mental illness now we already have that kid whose going to make it into the system at some point  where there's no funding and even worse there's absolutely no understanding of mental illness within America. No why is there no funding ? I see you can afford nuclear weapons, predator drones and guns in every nook and cranny so  why  can't you afford to fund a mental health service in the united states?  When  you  literally  can't get injured without   costing you a couple of grand, where does that money  go  exactly  ? Because it's not going into funding other services.  Right also I have a mental illness I have PTSD  and depression  I've never wanted to hurt anyone  or even wished harm upon anyone as a result of this mental illness  I even play lots of violent video games  and  yeah I get angry  but I know the difference between what's right and wrong. 



Autism doesn't make you kill people it makes  it difficult for you to socially interact and we live in a society that makes life difficult for those  who can't interact socially as well as others so  they're shunned , excluded and made fun of for something they can't really help. Some days I can really  hate my brother he's not incapable of being a horrible human being that much I know  but when he was young half the stuff he got  shit for at school he never deserved.


also take a look at this article seems like  the worlds starting to catch on 
http://www.buzzfeed.com/fionarutherford/this-photo-series-is-eradicating-the-stigma-of-mental-illnes 

No comments:

Post a Comment